I'm doing an incredible amount of preparation compared to any other project I've attempted, but there's still the whole fact that it's about 40 pages longer than any project I've ever attempted too. And more expensive, and ultimately more important and riskier. So unless I had like two months of production time and an infinite supply of money and resources I don't think I'd ever feel like I was ready.
I think it's also the somewhat rushed feeling production period. We're going to be shooting on both sides of the week of Christmas, an already particularly busy and chaotic time of year. And we're only going to have 13 days of production...which is pretty slim. And the fact that most of the cast/crew aren't here in town to be able to meet with everyday...and that many of them start almost as soon as they get out of school, and go back to school a few days after we wrap. There's no breathing room.
But I try to tell myself it's good to be nervous. If I was comfortable, I wouldn't be risking enough.
It's just despite all the work I'm doing, I always feel like I could be doing more, and I worry that that difference could be really important in the final product. I hope that in retrospect I'll be able to say something like that's just me trying to be a perfectionist or something, but I won't know if I'm being lazy or a perfectionist until much further down the road. It's sort of a weird thing not to know.
I'm just glad that I at least designed what should be a pretty easy and intimate production so once we're shooting, I hope it'll be less stressful than it is right now in anticipation. Of course whatever happens, in three weeks I will have everything pulled together.
I hope that with my next film I'll be able to get a lot more money and be able to hand off a lot of my prep jobs to other people. It's certainly the least exciting part of making the movie. It's all about anticipation and trying to make it happen and hoping you can pull it off. A lot of unknowns. And even for a feature length film like this, it's too much work for one or two people.
The next two stages are just about dealing with what you have from preproduction. I can't wait for those.
On a l
No comments:
Post a Comment