So my productivity has skyrocketed recently.
I believe it's a mixture of the season changing (so I'm visually not living in the same world as the movie anymore) and also getting a new workspace downtown at the brand new Cohabitat space...which is basically where you pay to have a dedicated workspace at a place with other creative people. It's a cool idea. Right now there aren't any other people, but I've been going over after work and have probably clocked in about 10 hours over there since moving in last Sunday.
I think I also just needed a longer than expected gestation period to disconnect myself from the production as much as possible so that I was coming at it with a fresh look. Which is great because I can feel it working. I've edited 15 minutes of the movie in the last 3 days, which is pretty good, but most importantly I'm really happy with what I'm seeing. Things that initially felt rushed in production actually work pretty well. It's like what I was saying after we wrapped but couldn't quite tell yet, which is that we've raised the bar so high with this project that even the stuff that felt like it might not be as good is much better than most things I've done before.
But most importantly it's really nice to just be seeing it all in sequence without as fresh of a memory of when we shot things. The stuff I've been working on flows nicely and I can see and feel the story, and it's really more than sum of the parts which is nice. All of these little chaotic moments cut into sequence and put in context and there's a pretty good movie there. So that's exciting.
And it's inspiring me to push through. I'm looking at having a full rough cut in a few weeks which I can send off to Hunter and Ben to cut the trailer and create the score respectively. Then it's just fine tuning from there, which I'm hoping will be much easier than the assembly.
But yeah, I know the adrenaline of the production period has kind of worn down and I haven't been updating the blog as much, but rest assured the wine is fermenting and will be ready to taste at the end of the summer.
Also, not to end on a sad note, but I figure this is relevant since it was an issue during the second leg of production. My grandmother died. We thought she was going to go during the second leg and I was really stressed out about that when shooting. But she held on for 3 more months so that's pretty incredible, I guess. It's also sort of interesting to have been to funeral and watch my dad over the last week while simultaneously editing the death scene/funeral in the movie and I think I got a lot of it right.
But overall, I'm just invigorated right now. I want to finish this movie and show it off and start doing more... I really feel like this is my career and I'm ready to keep building it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment